Tuesday, June 06, 2006

June 7, 1991. . .the BEST day ever!

It's hard to believe it's been 15 years since that hot, still night in June in Arizona. It's a long way from where we started, but the perfection of that day is unmistakable. He was a fussy baby, but started settling down when he was about 6 months old. His childhood was spent on the dusty Navajo rez, where one day flowed seamlessly into the next. Sheep, sand, pets, matchbox cars, "little big cars", camping and riding bike everywhere. When we finally moved to Minnesota, the good life seemed to start. We had our own house finally, and when the fire happened two years ago, he barely complained or ever felt sorry for himself. Always the optimist, bolstering my confidence and making me appreciate the important things, like each other. The perfect, polite, charming son, he always makes me proud and incredulous that he could have come from my genes. Handsome and smart, he makes everything in my life worthwhile. All my selfish old days ended that warm June night, when I became a mom to such an ideal child. It will remain my greatest accomplishment ever. Happy birthday, baby!

No comments: